"Finding Your Howl" Is a very inspiring article that could easily apply to everyone's lives. You can find the article I will be talking about right here:



In "Finding Your Howl" by Jonathon Flaum, he retells a story by Robert Frost about how a captive fox renews his own life and his own howl by actually dying. The fox, Mumon, decides to set out on a journey deep into the forest to set off his most primal instincts hoping to retrieve his howl that he had lost from being in captivity. On his journey, Mumon knew what he had to do to recover his internal dignity, and in so doing authentically connect with his external world, there was no turning back. By the end of Mumon's journey, he encounters a farmer who kills him at gunpoint. In this experience, Mumon finds his own unique howl. For Mumon, as Robert Frost admonished, the only way out was through. It is this way for us too. The only way out of our own prison is to go through it completely, and there is only one way towards finding our own unique voice. 

There are so many songs with great lyrics floating out there in the world, but this one in particular speaks to me as a creative person. The lyrics by themselves don't do it complete justice, but I can still appreciate them on paper. The song is called "You Are The Moon" and it was written by the band The Hush Sound. 

I've recorded myself reading the lyrics and I also gave you the lyrics below. 

http://ia700605.us.archive.org/11/items/YouAreTheMoon_65/YouAreTheMoonMediaBlog.m4a


Shadows all around you as you surface from the dark
Emerging from the gentle grip of night's unfolding arms
Darkness, darkness everywhere, do you feel all alone?
The subtle grace of gravity, the heavy weight of stone


You don't see what you possess, a beauty calm and clear
It floods the sky and blurs the darkness like a chandelier
All the light that you possess is skewed by lakes and seas
The shattered surface, so imperfect, is all that you believe


I will bring a mirror, so silver, so exact
So precise and so pristine, a perfect pane of glass
I will set the mirror up to face the blackened sky
So you can see your beauty every morning that you rise


These lyrics speak to me because they tell a story of someone with a skewed self-image in a unique way. The story, if you didn't catch it, depicts the moon as a person who doesn't see their own beauty. The moon only sees itself in the lakes and seas that reflect it's picture, making it believe that it isn't beautiful. I like how someone comes along and tells it that it is, in fact, beautiful. I've looked at these lyrics from a personal standpoint many times in my life, being both the moon and the mirror, and I am inspired by the message that it sends. To me it's not only a song, but it's poetry. This song reminds me of girls that never fulfill their potential because they didn't have the confidence to be themselves, something I hope won't overtake me. So it has a lot of meaning to me. I look for my inspiration for creativity in songs just like this one, because it sets a great standard for the kind of artist I want to be. 


1 comment:

  1. I like the example you provided. I understand the meaning behind the song "You Are The Moon". The mirro is important in our life because we need to see what ourselves look like through the it. The mirror tells me our beauty and the challenges. It helps us realize the reality and the truth in our deeper heart.

    ReplyDelete